Sunday, June 23, 2013

KINKY KIM CHEE and BACON KIM CHEE GRILLED CHEESE RECIPE

 I lived in Asia for many years and I got used to very spicy flavorful Kim Chee. I wasn't finding anything comparable to it at my Asian Market or grocery store so I decided to try and make it myself. I ordered The Kim Chee cookbook from Amazon.com and thus begins my journey.
 
Here are my ingredients. I made 3 types of Kim Chee, Eggplant and red pepper, Daikon and Spicy Cabbage.
 
 
This is the eggplant Kim Chee
 
 
This post is called Kinky Kim Chee, just look at that Daikon, and tell me your mind doesn't make that leap...smiles
 

 
 This is my napa cabbage diced and soaking in salt water. I think I may not have soaked my cabbage long enough. I soaked it for 1 hr 15 minutes but it wasn't as wilty as maybe it should have been.
 
Spicy cabbage Kim chee, Eggplant Kim Chee and Daikon Kim Chee made with rice porridge.
 
Here is where I am perfectly honest. All of it sucked. Its terrible. I am letting it stew in the fridge a little more hoping it gets a flavor.
 
I had better luck unjarring bought kim cheese and adding more Korean Red pepper powder and fish sauce to get the flavor I was looking for.
 
While I was doing all this I came across a recipe for A Kim Chee Grilled Cheese Sandwich well what could possible be better on it than Bacon.... So here is my recipe for :
 
Bacon Kim Chee Grilled Cheese
 
2 SLICES FIRM BREAD ( I used an artisan rosemary bread)
SHARP CHEDDAR (sliced evenly, use as much or as little as you'd like)
3 SLICES COOKED BACON
KIM CHEE
BUTTER
 
Basically I buttered only the outside of the bread. I layered my cheddar, bacon and kim chee between the slices of bread, added more butter to the frying pan and cooked it on medium high til the cheese got gooey and the bread toasted golden. It is excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment