Friday, January 13, 2012

The Dogs Last Will and Testament Poem


A Dog’s Last Will And Testament



I really would love to know the author of this poem. I have Googled and searched to no avail. The following was the best information found:“A Dog’s Last Will and Testament,” (Author anonymous) included in a recently published book in Germany “Der Verlust eines Hundes,” (The Loss of a Dog) by Elli Radinger, translated by Janet Beasley.


“Before humans die, they write their last will and testament, give their home and all they have to those they leave behind.


If, with my paws, I could do the same,

this is what I would ask …

“To a poor and lonely stray, I’d give my happy home, my bowl, cozy bed and all my toys, the lap which I loved so much and the tender loving touch.

Also the hand that stroked my fur and the sweet voice, which called my name.

I’d will to the sad, scared shelter animal, the place I had in my human’s loving heart of which their seemed no bounds.

So, when I die, please do not say,

‘I will never have a pet again, for the loss and the pain are more than I can stand.’

Instead, go find an unloved animal, one who’s life holds no hope or joy and give my place to him.

This is the only thing that I can give ... the love I left behind. This is my inheritance — my last will and testament.”

Susan Boyd Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment