Sunday, September 25, 2011

KATHY'S LEMON,GINGER AND SHRIMP CONGEE RECIPE

KATHY'S LEMON,GINGER AND SHRIMP CONGEE RECIPE


3/4 c. cooked rice (left over rice)

2 cloves garlic minced

ginger 1 inch (peeled and minced)

1 TB dried Shrimp

lemon zest

juice of 1 lemon

1 chili- slit up the middle and seeded

2 cans vegetable broth


add all ingredients in a crockpot or soup pot simmer 30 mins, or for crockpot leave all day


Condiments : french fried onion,diced green onion, or cilantro

diced chili, hot sesame oil,soy sauce

*******


While my husband and I were in Thailand, Congee was served on the breakfast buffets at all the hotels we stayed in. Each hotel had a different variation, beef, pork , chicken. I was told that congee was a typical Asian breakfast food. Trying to immerse myself in the culture I began having Congee and sauteed veggies (bok choy, napa cabbage and carrot) each morning. It was very soothing on the stomach.

I knew I wanted to make it when we got home, any way months passed and I thought of congee again this week. I looked up a variety of recipes which are all very basic and devised my own with a couple of my favorite ingredients that are not traditional at all in Congee. I think I came up with a nice blend.

Although Congee is considered a breakfast food I think it could really be served for any meal. I also think it would be great to have on hand for dieters.

A few variations of this recipe I can already see me doing would be to substitute Asian noodles (ramen) for the rice, and perhaps add the sauteed veggies I mentioned above to the mix. Ofcourse it would no longer be considered Rice Porridge but a nice flavorful soup none the less.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Nice combination. I do have a suggestion though, can you add images. It will be a great help. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete