Thursday, May 21, 2009

Memento Mori


This is 7 tiny cemeteries all together located on Broadway in Galveston. These cemeteries date back to before the 1900 storm. The cemeteries have been covered over 3 times. Meaning that as the island was raised if families had the money to exhume their loved one then their grave would be raised if not someone else would have been buried over them. So in fact there are 3 levels of graves there . I have often wondered how many forgotten souls lay beneath the yellow flowers that bloom for a season each year. The yellow flowers never forget. Memento Mori






GRASS
by: Carl Sandburg (1878-1967)
PILE the bodies high at Austerlitz and Waterloo,
Shovel them under and let me work--
I am the grass; I cover all.

And pile them high at Gettysburg
And pile them high at Ypres and Verdun.
Shovel them under and let me work.
Two years, ten years, and passengers ask the conductor:
What place is this?
Where are we now?

I am the grass.
Let me work.

No comments:

Post a Comment